I-944 Q&A: What Liabilities and Debts Should be Provided?

Another great question about Form I-944, Declaration of Self-Sufficiency came in recently. This time, we are going to talk about your liabilities and debts. What should be provided? Does it matter where it was issued? Let's check it out:
I-944 Q&A: What Liabilities and Debts Should be Provided?

Click here to see how I applied for my green card with no RFE!

What liabilities and debts should be provided? 

Honestly, I would provide ALL of them. Just be honest with USCIS and provide everything you have. As a rule of thumb, it's better to be over prepared than under prepared. It doesn't hurt to provide more than needed. To give you an idea, here is a quick list of some examples:
  • Home mortgage loans
  • Unpaid taxes (very important!)
  • Student loans
  • Other education-related loans
  • Unpaid credit card
  • Unpaid child and/or spousal support
  • Car loan
  • Personal loans
  • More
You should provide supporting documents such as lending entity, which should be covering at lease the last 6 months prior your green card application filing.

What about the student loans I have in my home country?

USCIS usually requires you to provide what you have globally. So you would need to provide all liabilities and debts held by you, no matter where they were issued. This will include your student loan issued back in your home country (outside the United States).

Of course it's better to have no debts and/or liabilities at all for your Form I-944 and green card application; but it's a very bad idea to hide from USCIS which can lead to a possible rejection. 

Although having debts and liabilities can be a negative factor, it is not the end of the world! You can still make it up with other positive factors such as your ability to pay back the debts, your other assets and resources, your household incomes, etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a comment! I will review it shortly:) You can also contact me at chenevy99@gmail.com

Questions?

Name

Email *

Message *