When Can I Apply for U.S. Citizenship?

Receiving your green card is a big milestone! But we all know that's not the end of the story, many of us are going to obtain our U.S. citizenship eventually. Let's see when is the earliest time you can apply for it:
When can greencard holder apply for US citizenship

When Can I Apply for U.S. Citizenship?

The earliest date you can apply for your U.S. citizenship is 90 calendar days before you complete your permanent resident requirement. The requirement varies depends on how you obtained your green card. You have to be a permanent resident for:
  • At least 5 years if you obtain the green card through work, direct relatives other than the spouse, or other channels
  • At least 3 years if you are married to a U.S. citizen
Be careful! USCIS will deny your application if you apply too early, so be sure you are within 90 days if you plan on starting early. You can use their Early Filing Checker here to make sure you get the dates right!

Also, once you become a US citizen, remember to update your social security card. Read this post to learn more: Do I Need to Update My Social Security Card After Receiving My Green Card?

Are you planning on getting your US citizenship earlier? I think I would! Because then I won't have to worry about leaving the country too long or in violation of something that I missed to obtain citizenship in the future. Plus, only US citizens have voting rights. What do you think? I would love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a comment! I will review it shortly:) You can also contact me at chenevy99@gmail.com

Questions?

Name

Email *

Message *