What are the Income Requirements for Form I-944 Declaration of Self-Sufficiency


Form I-944 Declaration of Self-Efficiency is very similar to form I-864 Affidavit of Support, however, the I-944 looks at a wider range of factors including your education background, financial situation, language skills, employment history, health insurance, government benefits you have applied, etc.
What are the income requirements for Form I-944?


Out of all the factors, the income requirement is what most people concern the most, so I separate this into a dedicated post here to explain a little more. This rules are basically the same as the I-864 Affidavit of Support. Chances are if you can pass the I-864 requirements, you should be good for I-944's household income part.


How to Apply for I-485 Adjustment of Status by Myself

How much income do I need for form I-944?

Form I-944 looks at your household income (including you, your spouse, and other family members if applicable). For most people, the household's annual income have to be at least 125% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines. This number changes based on your family size and location. Don't count any unborn babies (in case you are wondering!).
Don't forget to include the most recent year tax return transcripts of all the family members whose income you are including in the form!

  • For a family of 2 persons in 48 contiguous states, the poverty guideline is $17,240 for 2020. So you are looking for at least $21,550 (125% of the poverty line)
  • For a family of 3 persons in 48 contiguous states, the poverty guideline is $21,720 for 2020. So you would need at least $27,150.

Click here to find the most recent year guideline for your household size.

What if I can't meet the income requirements?

Don't give up without trying! Just like Form I-864, you can also include assets and other resources in Item 9. First find out your required household income number (see above) and calculate how much you are short. As a rule of thumb, you would need 5 times of the number you are short; however, if this application is just for a U.S. citizen's spouse or a child over 18 years old, you only need 3 times of the number you are short. Let's see a quick example:

Your annual household income is $20,000 and the required income is $21,550, so you are short for $1,550 ($21,550-$20,000). Therefore your asset value has to be at least $7,750 (5 times the difference) or $4,650 (3 times the difference) if you are a spouse or a child over 18 of a US citizen.

Read more: How to Overcome Public Charge I-944 Declaration of Self-Sufficiency

What forms of assets are accepted in form I-944?

There are many forms of assets accepted for I-944, usually the assets that you can quickly convert into cash. The common assets used include:
  • Houses you own
  • Checking and savings account
  • Annuities
  • Stocks and bonds/ certificates of deposit
  • Retirement accounts 
  • Educational accounts
  • Net cash value of your real estate
  • Other assets that can be easily converted into cash
Remember to include a description of the asset, proof of ownership, cash value, and some other basic information.

Click here to see my full I-485 application process>>


*Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer or affiliate with any institutions. This post is just for sharing my person opinion and experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a comment! I will review it shortly:) You can also contact me at chenevy99@gmail.com

Questions?

Name

Email *

Message *